2 posts • Page 1 of 1
Hipster Painters and Artisan Paints
In case you haven't realised, the hipster movement is taking the world by storm. What exactly is the hipster movement?
According to the urban dictionary, "Hipsters are a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter. . .Although "hipsterism" is really a state of mind,it is also often intertwined with distinct fashion sensibilities."
In Australia, the largest concentration of hipsters is in inner city Melbourne, Sydney, Bondi Beach, Fremantle, and Byron Bay, but hipsters can be found anywhere there is good coffee, and boutique beers.
One of the trademarks of being a hipster is a return to the 'hand-made', 'authentic', more 'traditional' way of making things and doing things. This thinking can even be found in the painting community. Young, cool painters aren't content to use well-known mass-produced big label brands; they want to know what is in the paint they are using, who made it, where it was made, etc; and they want to be able to create beautiful finishes using traditional or cutting edge methods. They want to be artisans, not just bogan tradies.
This has led to the popularity of smaller boutique brands, such as Rockcote, BIO Paints, FX Australia, Murobond, Mythic and Ecolour. These brands are all zero-VOC, and allow the artisan to create beautiful patterns and effects that cannot be achieved with the big brands.
Mat White from Mat White Painting in Melbourne operates a painting business, and is an Accredited GreenPainter. Mat also trained as a professional sign-writer. "I've seen a massive increase in the number of people asking for hand-written sign-writing, and decorative wall finishes, including murals. It's definitely a growing market."
The biggest irony is that hipsters will never admit they are a hipster. So how do you know if you are a hipster painter? Here are ten tell-tale signs:
1. When everyone is knocking back Coke at smoko, you are sipping on your organic Fair-Trade filtered coffee with almond milk.
2. You grow your own linseed oil
3. You have your woody surfboard strapped to the top of the van, ready for the right swell.
4. You no longer drink XXXX with the boys on a Friday afternoon, but prefer a hoppy boutique ale
5. You know what VOC stands for
6. You ask the rep for a body hugging t-shirt
7. You can use your beard as a sash cutter
8. You spend 50% more on your paint because all your clients have allergies
9. You wear horn-rimmed glasses even when you are spraying the ceiling
10. You can spell 'Trompe l'oleil', and you know what a sign-writing brush is
Find out more about artisan paints at http://www.greenpainters.org.au/Consume ... Paints.htm
Any colour as long as it's green!