We use cookies to give you the best experience. By using this site you agree to our Privacy Policy. If you don't consent, you can opt-out by closing your browser tab or navigating to a different site.

WA Painters Registration

In Western Australia painters who supervise or contract to do painting work over $1000 in value must be registered with the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety. This is to protect the consumer (your client), to protect the safety of workers in the industry, and to keep the standard of workmanship high.

Any painter seeking to be registered needs to be able to prove they a minimum of 5 years experience in the industry.

To meet the requirements for registration under Pathway Set 1 you need to hold Certificate III in Painting and Decorating and the two units below offered as part of the Course in Painter's Registration:

BSBESB402 Establish Legal and Risk Management Requirements of Small Business
CPCCBC4004A Identify & Produce Estimated Costs for Building & Construction Projects

International Painters Qualifications

Qualifications obtained overseas, such as the U.K City and Guilds Level 3 are not recognised for the purposes of registration in WA. This is because painters who supervise or operate a painting contracting business in Western Australia must be familiar with Australian legislation and regulations concerning safety, lead paint removal, asbestos, and industry standards.

How do I get Painters Registration in WA?

First, complete Certificate III in Painting and Decorating. This course is available either through an apprenticeship, or through a process called Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). We recommend completing this training and assessment only through a reputable and quality Registered Training Organisation (RTO).

There are many RTOs that offer RPL or Skills Assessment in Certificate III Painting and Decorating. However, often they do not provide any training or upskilling to students, which means if you don't know literally everything in the course, you won't pass, and will have wasted your money. RTOs who claim that you don't need to know everything in the qualification are misleading students, and often their certificates are not recognised by the government.

As a painting contractor you will be legally be held responsible for everything that happens on your projects, including the quality of work, It is important to get proper assessment and gap training so that you understand all safety legislation, contract law and industry standards.

Find an NPDI approved RTO for RPL Assessment

In addition to having the industry trade qualification, you must complete two subjects for business:

BSBESB402 Establish Legal & Risk Management Requirements of Small Business
CPCCBC4004A Identify & Produce Estimated Costs for Building & Construction Projects

These subjects are available on-line, and ensure that you understand the requirements of business legislation in regards to contracting, safety, and estimating off plans.

Once you have completed these two subjects you can then apply to the Department for registration as a registered practitioner, or nominated supervisor. A registered painting practitioner can start and operate a painting business, but registered nominated supervisors can only work for a registered painting contractor.

As part of the painters registration application process you will need to provide references that you have a minimum of five years in the industry, and that you have the required qualifications. There is also an application fee. If you don't meet all the requirements you may not get the application fee refunded, so it pays to make sure you have everything required upfront.

If you need help to get qualified, assessed, or obtain the qualifications required for WA Painters Registration, contact the National Painting and Decorating Institute.