Lead Paint Hazard

Proposed Changes to Licensing a Risk to NSW Consumers

Daniel Wurm | 17 Aug 2018

Recent proposed changes to NSW Home Building Regulation by New South Wales Fair Trading are a risk to the health of the NSW public, according to industry groups the National Institute of Painting and Decorating, Master Painters Association NSW and Aussie Painters Network. The peak bodies are calling on the Minister for Innovation and Better Regulation, The Hon. Matthew Kean, to reject the proposal to scrap licensing for painting and decorating, and instead; tighten the existing regulations to include internal paint work.

“We are requesting the Minister to expand on the existing licensing requirements for painting work to include home interiors, including work under $5000. The proposed changes pose an unacceptable risk to the industry, and to the wider community,” says NIPD spokesman Mr. Daniel Wurm

Lead paint is toxic, and is found in high concentrations in most buildings in NSW built before 1971. The known effects of lead paint on human health include dangers to pregnant women, impaired brain development in babies and children, and anaemia in adults. The most common exposures occur during home renovations on older homes when lead paint flakes and dust are ingested or inhaled by children or unsuspecting DIYs.

Asbestos is found in most buildings built before 1990, and inhalation of asbestos fibres during paint preparation has claimed lives. Inhaled fibres may cause various lung diseases, including asbestosis. The National Institute of Painting and Decorating recommends that these highly toxic materials must be identified and treated by trained and licensed trades people, including painters.

“Painting of home interiors containing lead paint or asbestos by untrained and unlicensed persons poses significant health risks to children, babies, and adults exposed to lead paint dust and asbestos fibres during preparation”, says Mr Wurm. “It is currently a requirement that only licensed painters can carry out painting works worth over $5000 on the exterior of NSW homes, and this should expanded to include interior works, to protect the health of NSW home owners. Licensing protects the public from unqualified and untrained contractors, and protects the public from health risks.”

Contact: Daniel Wurm

National Institute of Painting and Decorating

0402 312234

http://www.painters.edu.au


Comments

1 | Phill johnstone

As a qualified painter of 18 years, I think it should be compulsory for all work over $1000 must be licensed, might stop cowboys ruining our trade

Posted on 18th August 2018, 9:33am

Leave a comment