We use cookies to give you the best experience. By using this site you agree to our Privacy Policy. If you don't consent, you can opt-out by closing your browser tab or navigating to a different site.

Victorian Painters Registration

In Victoria registration is mandatory for painters performing residential work with a value of more than $5000, where they are performing more than one class of work. For example, if a painter performs painting and one of the following classes of work on the same contract:

  • Glazing of windows
  • Plasterboard sheeting
  • Solid plastering and rendering
  • Door and window installation

To become registered with the Victorian Building Authority you must:

  • Be qualified with a recognised qualification such as Certificate III Painting and Decorating. If you are not qualified you will be assessed to this qualification.
  • Have Domestic Builder Insurance for projects over $16,000 in value
  • Undergo a National Police Check
  • Be able to provide a Technical Referee Report from another Registered Building Practitioner
  • Pay a fee of $737 for new registrations and $245.30 for annual renewal registration

To become a qualified painter you can either:

If you only perform painting and decorating work the National Painting and Decorating Institute still recommends becoming a registered practitioner because:

Find out more